Pursuant to O.C.G.A. § 10-1-360, secondary metals recyclers who purchase regulated metal property in any quantity
must register with the appropriate sheriff’s office(s) beginning July 1, 2012.
- The recycler must submit a completed registration form in person to Sgt. Chuck Catlin. Sgt. Catlin can be reached at
678-486-1237 or through email.
- The recycler must also submit a copy of the driver’s license or other identification along with the registration documents.
- If the recycler is a qualified alien, secure and verifiable documentation must be attached to the application. A list of verifiable documents is included below.
- Annually collect a non-refundable registration fee of $200, which must be remitted to the county governing authority. Registrations cannot be considered without full payment of $200.
- Each registration is valid for a twelve month period beginning with the effective date of registration established by the sheriff’s office once all registration requirements are met.
How the Appropriate County of Registration is Determined
- Business (Corporation or Partnership) :
The recycler registering as a business must register with the sheriff in county where the place of operation is maintained. If the recycler maintains a place of operation in more than one county, he/she must register the business in each county.
- Individual (Sole Proprietor):
An individual must register in the county where he/she resides.
- Non-resident of Georgia:
A recycler who is not a resident of Georgia must register in the county where he/she primarily engages or intends to operate as a secondary metals recycler.