The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office encourages everyone to help us in combating car break ins. These county-wide crimes can be prevented by following a few simple steps:
- Keep your car locked. This will prevent thieves from “flipping” the door handles and easily gaining entry.
- Never leave your valuables in plain view. If you do not want to take your valuables (purse, phone, laptop, etc.) with you, at least hide them in the trunk or other hard-to-reach area.
- Take your valuables with you. This is the best thing you can do. Should your vehicle be broken into, you will still have your possessions. This includes firearms.
- If you see something, say something. Call 911 if you see something suspicious, including unfamiliar persons or vehicles behaving strangely, in your neighborhood.
- Install motion activated lights. Outdoor lights with motion sensors have always been a good theft deterrent.
- Install a security camera. Home security cameras are quickly becoming one of the best tools available to investigators.