Here are some of warning signs or indicators that someone might be involved in gang related activities:
- Graffiti(drawing names and symbols).
- Gang names, logos, & nicknames written on personal property.
- Withdrawal from family/normal activities.
- New friends that parents don't know.
- Staying out late at night.
- Secretive activities.
- Sudden changes in behavior and personality.
- Unexplained injuries, body markings, and tattoos.
- Unexplained gifts of money, expensive items or jewelry.
- Possession of weapons.
- Use of hand signs and/or body gestures when communicating with friends.
- Expressing a preference for one color or avoiding others.
- Skipping school/work.
- Multiple suspensions/expulsion.
- Shows strong disrespect for authority.
- Alcohol or drug use.
- Mentions the need for protection/weapons.
Indicators that there are gang related activities in your area:
- Clustering of rival groups.
- Movement of groups not common in your neighborhood (carloads of strangers).
- Reports of fights and arguments on school property.
- Increased gang graffiti.
- Violent incidents reported in the area.
- Sudden/excessive change in dress (groups wearing or displaying a particular color).
For more information, click links below to read about gangs: